Friday, August 29, 2008
Primary and Secondary documents
Yes, if you're wondering about below, I did just dismiss a major and often popular philosophic discipline without taking the energy to read any primary documents. Secondary documents, or perhaps tertiary ones here as summaries are all I went by. If I have been unfair to judge the philosophy by its surface summary, forgive me. But I'm my own cat and I'm not about to get tainted by clearly inferior philosophy. My desire to keep everyone I know from wasting any segment of their lives with it is strong enough for me to write a bit about it, with less material than the 14 or so books he wrote. There are far better philosophic books to be gleaned from, and I intend to read them soon, and give my assessment, whether anyone wants to hear it or not. If anyone objects to my unfair treatment of Nietzsche, I'll demonstrate the inferiority by producing my own Farmer/Merchant/Soldier morality that totally trumps his weak system in explaining the conflict of values throughout history. At least, it has some Rochambeau, so it is balanced (his system would have exploded and cannibalized itself long ago). Of course, my system, like his, would be ultimately inadequate to explain all moral phenomenon. Like his, it wouldn't perfectly fit innumerable people's experience with the evaluation that is part and parcel of experiencing life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment